Friday, February 23, 2007

WHY?






She asked. Because I said. Every weekend I am dragged to junk shop/flea markets and generally I am bored to death. Well Gary spotted some nice dishes one time and bought them for 19.99 (a place setting for 16) missing 1 plate and 1 cup/saucer. They were really pretty so I started looking on line to see if I could find any replacement pieces. I was floored to find that a plate bought from a business would cost me 30 dollars so I kept searching till I started finding them for sale by individuals much cheaper. So I replaced that set with what it needed and put them up. A week later Gary and I spot 2 more designs with almost complete sets. I have now completed those sets. The blog below this one tells the history of Noritake and what some of the stamps on the underside of the piece to look for.

I decided it would be something nice to leave to my kids--something to remember me by. Jon has already put his tibs on the set he wants, which I would say is a very pretty set. They can either use them, sell them as a lot, or sell them one piece one at a time on line. Right now they are well over three thousand dollars if sold one piece at a time. With time they will hold even more worth or like I said they can keep them and pass them down to their kid.

I have now start studying about Noritake Art Deco Handpainted pieces before WWII. They hold the most value. Created by the Morimura Brothers. I bought a piece today at the junk store for 19.00 and I found one on ebay that the bid starts at 130.00. So I have had a productive day.

Speaking of the day, it was absolutely beautiful. Cold yes but not too bad. The snow is off the streets leaving behind a white dust of salt. I took the dogs for a ride today since I haven't driven since Xmas, and as we pulled out of the garage I had to sit in the sun for about 10 minutes because my eye pupils were the size of a pin head. I couldn't see at all. Felt like a mole. Haven't really left the house during the daylight since December. Of course, there really hasn't been that much sunlight until this week. We are under a Winter Storm Watch starting tomorrow although at the moment I am sitting in my window watching the sun going down with not a cloud in the sky. Although in the distance--toward Lake Michigan-- I can see a front coming which we all know means lake effect snows--9 inches they are calling for. We are down to 7 inches in the yard still except it is ice not snow anymore. Can't walk on it without slipping.

Ok family, that is about it from Lake Wobegone. Where the ... oh well you know the rest if you listen to NPR.

1 comment:

SWright said...

OK, I can understand investment value, and leaving something to your kids to take to the Antiques Roadshow