Tuesday, January 30, 2007

More Lake Effect Snow













Meaning of Lake Effect Snow--wind blowing over the waters of Lake Michigan, causing snow because the water (evaparation) is actually warmer than the air blowing over it. So lots of wind, lots of warm water equals lots of blowing snow and 30 foot waves at the beach in Holland, MI.

Well it is not as bad as is it is in Holland just 30 miles west of here. They have 20 inches and still snowing hard. They had to close down the Interstate 94 that goes from Kalamazoo, MI to Chicago all day Sunday due to the Lake Effect Snow and I 196 around GR-to Holland was closed down last night due to accidents. The snow was falling so hard and fast it was practically a white out. It started snowing here at 4 yesterday and it is still coming down full force.

It is soooo beautiful. Before the snow started yesterday, the back yard had frozen solid so Happy, Poochie, and Lady went skating across it as they chased each other. It was funny watching them trying to throw on the brakes and start slidding at top speed into the patio and door. Molly and I stood at the door watching them. She looked up at me like why are they out there?? Molly hates the cold. Poor Freckles, yesterday when he was trying to poop his back feet would slide out from under him. Boo Boo always does this back feet scratching thing when she is through but yesterday when she started her feet slid out and she hit her head.

I am beginning to get cabin fever and ready to plant all the seeds I harvested from last year and lilly bulbs. I am going to create a lilly bulb garden around my mail box. It is going to be 3 feet wide by 12 feet long. I bought a billion lilly bulbs for that area between the sidewalk and street and I am going to make it all into a flower garden. I am also going to plant a bunch of white pines too along the back and out front. Can't wait! Well here comes the snow truck that means I need to go use the snowblower to remove the mountain of snow he deposits at the end of the drive way. The guy next door just takes his truck and runs it back and forth beating it down till he can get in and out of his driveway. He made two passes this time.

Watching the noon news and the guy swallowed a mouthfull of blowing snow and started choking trying to give his lake effect snow report--ha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Living in the "Great White" would surely test my endurance and sanity. I don't know how you function in that but I guess you can get used to anything just like we get used to never-ending-summer down here. Surprisingly the month of Jan. was below normal here. At least it seemed like it to this lover of fair weather. I guess in a way Jon was lucky to be there to scare away the would-be thief, otherwise he would surely have been a victum. Older Whiskey...