Friday, January 26, 2007

Jessica's Latest Myspace Entry

Very proud of this entry---hoping everyone likes it as much as I do. I bought this book for her when she was younger in high school and now she has decided to re-read it again. Hope it touches other young women as much as it did her.

Jessica writes:

I just came across a quote tonight that I loved back when I originally read this book. It seems odd to me now, how something I loved back then, a quote infused with a characteristic so brilliant, and yet, so amorphorous that it could not be elucidated , has come to mean so much more to me now after these past years. It's almost as if I originally enjoyed the quote for its outer beauty, the ideal it was presenting to me as a young woman. Only after these past years have I come to FULLY comprehend the idea presented within it, a lesson which I had to learn for myself, as most young women do. And today, I am ever so much more thankful for the words this writer was able to so eloquently articulate. Although I was too young to understand the full impact of what she was stating at the time, I believe her words were the seed in my heart to the lesson that every young woman must learn in her lifetime. Without further adieu, the quote from Toni Morrison's Song of Solomon--

"You can't own a human being. You can't lose what you don't own. Suppose you did own him. Could you really love somebody who was absolutely nobody without you? You really want somebody like that? Somebody who falls apart when you walk out the door? You don't, do you? And neither does he. You're turning over your whole life to him. Your whole life, girl. And if it means so little to you that you can just give it away, hand it to him, then why should it mean any more to him? He can't value you more than you value yourself."


No comments: